Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Review: Redemption by Sara Furlong Burr


Ten years ago, her family was murdered. 

One year ago, she left her life behind for a chance to avenge their deaths. 

Twenty-four hours ago, her defiance sealed her fate. 

With her suspicions mounting and her loyalty to The Epicenter tested, Celaine Stevens makes the decision to fight for a cause she believes in and aligns herself with the rebellion. Joined by Ian Grant, the pair escape from The Epicenter and travel to the Capitol, where they find Marshall Leitner and his followers. While inside the rebellion, Celaine and Ian learn that the rebels are planning a final uprising against President Brooks, one in which they hope will sway the rest of the country’s opinion in their favor. 

However, loyalties are soon tested. The rebels are finding it hard to trust them, so when a bounty is issued on Celaine and Ian by President Brooks, it may be too good for some of them to resist. 

As the nation goes to war, Celaine finds herself in the fight of her life. Vendettas will become personal, lives will be lost, and the world will never be the same again.


My Rating

4


My Review

I fell in love with this trilogy from the first couple of pages of Enigma Black, and that was able to carry all the way through the final pages of this novel. Redemption is a thrilling and chilling conclusion to an unforgettable and action-packed trilogy. 

I was unable to put down this book once I started it. There was plenty of suspense and revelations carrying the reader to the end. Although I'm not always a fan of changing between more than two POVs, I thought it worked incredibly well with this series, Redemption especially. The voices are all unique enough for clear distinction between the characters, and I felt that the changes in perspective allowed for a faster pacing (with few exceptions in which I almost wanted to rush past a scene to get back to a different plot line I was dying to read more of) and an altogether more enjoyable read.

One thing I love about series is that they really allow the readers to grow with a character and see them develop. This was definitely the case with Celaine. She already had been a strong character from the beginning, but she continues to grow, discovering more about who she is and exactly what she is capable of. I loved seeing more of Ian, who I would never tire of. I also enjoyed the depth that went into Cameron's character. Although those in the book may not have all seen it, he became so much more than a horny computer geek, and my heart really broke for him. But even the more minor characters make a lasting impact, including those in the rebellion who were just introduced in this book.

The introduction to the rebellion made for an interesting development that added to the world that was built throughout the series. The fight scenes had me at the edge of my seat, heart-racing.

The plot kept me guessing, and held me captive for the entire read. Although the ending, as a reader, made me incredibly angry (I'm talking forgetting there are people around and shouting WHY?! at your e-reader screen until you get enough freaked out looks to worry yourself kind of angry). However, I can't complain. It wasn't a bad ending, it just wasn't what I wanted. Of course, that's probably more realistic than any other outcome.

Redemption is an explosive conclusion, and I couldn't have asked for a more impressive ending to this series I've been so glad to follow. I'll definitely miss Celaine, but the reading experience was an emotional thrill ride with everything from deliciously dry humor to steamy and heart-melting romance. (So, really, everything you need in a novel?) This trilogy is not one to forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment