Monday, August 25, 2014

Review: Queen of Someday by Sherry D. Ficklin


ONE GIRL WILL BRING AN EMPIRE TO ITS KNEES...

Before she can become the greatest empress in history, fifteen-year-old Sophie will have to survive her social-climbing mother’s quest to put her on the throne of Russia—at any cost.

Imperial Court holds dangers like nothing Sophie has ever faced before. In the heart of St. Petersburg, surviving means navigating the political, romantic, and religious demands of the bitter Empress Elizabeth and her handsome, but sadistic nephew, Peter. Determined to save her impoverished family—and herself—Sophie vows to do whatever is necessary to thrive in her new surroundings. But an attempt on her life and an unexpected attraction threatens to derail her plans.

Alone in a new and dangerous world, learning who to trust and who to charm may mean the difference between becoming queen and being sent home in shame to marry her lecherous uncle. With traitors and murderers lurking around every corner, her very life hangs in the balance. Betrothed to one man but falling in love with another, Sophie will need to decide how much she’s willing to sacrifice in order to become the empress she is destined to be.

In a battle for the soul of a nation, will love or destiny reign supreme?
 
 
My Rating
 
4
 
 
My Review
 
Fans of historical fiction, look no further, as Queen of Someday is a wonderful YA read that has just about everything readers could ask for. It's impossible to put down, and I loved just about every minute.

Characters are always important in stories with a basis in history, especially if they actually existed in real life. I loved how the characters were really brought to life in the novel with believable personalities. It's hard to imagine one of Russia's greatest rulers as a teenage girl, but Ficklin crafted Sophie incredibly well. As I reader, I really felt I saw her grow as a character, and begin to shape into the woman she is sure to become. It's exciting not only to have such a strong female protagonist, but a strong female protagonist based greatly on a real woman in history. Plus, we don't have enough politically ambitious protagonists in YA. Whether you'd get along with a power-hungry lead or not, it sure makes them interesting.

Being as the novel does have a historical basis, it seems a bit odd to rave about the plot, as the plot is...well, history. However, a large part of the novel still is fictional, and even if it weren't, I'd talk about the plot anyway because I enjoy it that much. There wasn't a dull moment, and I was fully invested with every new twist. And I can't even remember the last time I loved an ending so much. (Because I really, really loved the ending.)

If there's anything I enjoyed almost as much as the ending, it's the relationship between characters. The interwoven dealings and changes were fantastic to read about, and I couldn't get enough. All of the characters really brought something to the story. For example, Sergei gives readers a real reason to swoon. (Among other things, of course.)

Although some of the dialogue felt a bit forced, especially in the "love interest" scenes, it never really got in the way of my reading experience. Plus, that was more so a rare occurrence.

Queen of Someday really has a little bit of everything. Action, betrayal, forbidden romance, twists...and a bunch of other lovely things I'm forgetting to mention. I highly recommend, and cannot wait to get my hands on the second book of the series.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment