Saturday, April 5, 2014

Author Interview: Adrianne James

I was lucky enough to interview Adrianne James, author of Overexposed and the Mackenzie Duncan series, both of which were featured as reviews here on this blog.

To refresh your memory, here are my reviews of:
Each link has a synopsis of the book as well as a purchase link.

Anyway, here's the interview:

1.      Try to describe your novels in no more than one sentence each. (I know, this can be terribly difficult.)

AJ: Life on Loan is the story that needs to be told because no one wants to know about it. Overexposed is a story of family, friendship and doing what’s right even when that means doing the hardest thing in the world. The Mackenzie Duncan Series is the journey of a girl learning who she is and what she is meant to do, all the while dealing with the fact that she is a Werewolf. The Billionaire & The Barfly is the story of a reluctant girl who loves to keep things casual and the billionaire super hero loving geek who wants more than a hook up.

2.      How long does it normally take for you to write a novel? Do you generally plan a lot ahead of time or just see where your writing goes?


AJ: It depends, but typically I can write the first draft of a novel in a few months. I have to have a time line of when I start and when I need the last chapters to my betas, otherwise I get distracted and start procrastinating.

3.      Out of all the characters that you developed, which is your favorite? Which one that held the most difficulty?


AJ: Hmm, this is difficult! I guess my favorite so far is Mackenzie Duncan from my paranormal series. I love how strong willed she is and how she doesn’t care about doing what’s easy if it’s wrong.  I think I had the most difficulty with Aubrey from The Billionaire & The Barfly. Mostly because I have never been the casual type with my sexuality like she is and trying to get into her head space was hard. I had to find other ways to connect with her, like her career driven ways and her love for her brother.

4.      Out of all of your novels, which was the most difficult for you to finish?


AJ: My very first one, LIFE ON LOAN was the hardest to finish. Not because of the story, but more because of my fear of what was next. I was terrified to write the end because then I had to do something with it. I had to show it to the world. What if it sucked? What if I was out of my mind and writing a book made no sense at all? What if after what if flew through my mind and that was the HARDEST obstacle I have faced as an author.

5.      If any one character from anything you wrote could come alive in person, and you could have a conversation with them, which character would you choose?


AJ: I think I would choose Vi from OVEREXPOSED because of our common love for photography. 

6.      Although these kinds of questions are awfully overdone, I will ask anyway: If the Mackenzie Duncan series were to receive a film adaptation, do you have any ideas of a dream cast?


AJ: Of course! Mackenzie Duncan would be played by Mia Mitchell. Geoff would be played by Taylor Kitch (when he is all gruff and scruffy, not  the Friday Night Lights version). Liam would be Xavier Samuels. Margret would be played by Mariska Hargitay and Darren would be played by Joe Manganiello. The rest of the cast I haven’t really thought about.

7.      If, for whatever reason, a zombie apocalypse were to actually occur, which five people (real or fictional) would you want on your team?


AJ: Hmm, good question! Let’s see, if I am not picking my family (which in real life I totally would of course) I would go with my Chuck Norris, That guy from ZombieLand, Ian Somerhalder (because well, if we are the last ones alive and all….*wiggles eyebrows*) JC Emery (my bestie) and a hot man of her choice so she leaves Ian alone.

8.      What is your go-to movie to watch? Go-to book to read?


AJ: If I was in a romantic sappy mood my go to movie is The Notebook. If not, I like Shawshank Redemption and The Postman. My go to book is Harry Potter. I can’t even tell you how many times I have read those books.

9.      Have you always wanted to be a writer? If not, when did you first hold an interest in writing?


AJ: I have always been a writer. I have always made up stories but started to write them down in the third grade as a form of therapy. I never stopped writing since then. It has changed over the years of course. When I was little it was picture stories with a few words on each page, as I got older it turned to poetry, then short stories. I even dabbled in fan fiction for a while.

10.  What thoughts went through your mind when you first became a published author?


AJ: First thought was HOLY CRAP! Then I immediately went to, “What do I want to write next?!”

11.  Where do you most like to write? Do you listen to music or prefer silence?


AJ: Anywhere quiet and when you live in a house with 7 people and two of them are young children, quiet is quite the commodity. I can’t even listen to music. I have invested in a ton of ear plugs to help me along the way.

12.  Are there any authors or particular novels that inspire you, or have inspired your own writing?


AJ: Hmm, I think almost any author is inspiring in their own way. But I tend to look to JK Rowling as inspiration. She went from nothing to everything, but never let it go to her head.

13.  When not writing or reading, what do you enjoy doing?


AJ: I love all things art. I am a photographer and a knitter and a paint by numbers-er. I also love to garden and take my kids on hikes around the state parks.

14.  What projects are you currently working on?


AJ: Right now I am writing Book 3 in the Mackenzie Duncan Series.

15.   Lastly, what advice would you give to aspiring writers or those who are considering publishing a novel of their own?


AJ: To stop calling themselves aspiring. To aspire mean to want to do something. The minute they put words to a page they ARE a writer. They need to believe in themselves and their work. They also need to do their homework and find a great team to work with. A good beta is worth their weight in gold. The perfect cover will catch the eye of all the people scrolling through Amazon, and a professional editor will make your novel shine. If you ever want to go from writer to credible published author, you need the whole crew.




Growing up, Adrianne couldn’t get her hands on enough books to satisfy her need for the make believe. If she finished a novel and didn’t have a new one ready and waiting for her, she began to create her own tales of magic and wonder. Now, as an adult, books still make up majority of her free time, and now her tales get written down to be shared with the world.
During the day, Adrianne uses her camera to capture life’s stories for clients of all ages and at night, after her two children are tucked in bed; she devotes herself to her written work. Adrianne is living the life she always wanted, surrounded by art and beauty, the written word and a loving family. 
As a young adult and new adult author, Adrianne James has plans to bring stories of growing characters, a little romance, and perhaps a little magic and mythology down the line for her readers to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment